Friday, August 04, 2006

Fear and Control

In June, Kim wrote (in part):
"I just want to let everyone know how much Ray and I appreciate all the prayers and concerns we've been blessed with thus far. I had a really scary night Sunday....first of all, I'm not sleeping that well since the news of the mammogram. But what I realized Sunday nite was that this time next week, I could possibly not be here or tomorrow for that matter. I was really shaken up by this realization and the fact that we have no control. It is in God's hands and He is in control and like it or not, when it's time to go, it's time. I am not faring well with this right now, especially as I look around and see all that I need to do before I go. I almost called you to talk about this but thought better against it (2 a.m.). Anyway, I'm doing better today and know that I have to believe in my faith to keep going or I'm going to drive myself bonkers! Thanks for listening!"

Dear Kim,
First of all, I'm sorry it has taken so long to write back. We talked about this in person and I appreciate your forgiveness.

There is a fairly popular tract circulating around called "The Four Spiritual Laws." In it, there is a picture of a train, with the engine labeled 'Faith' and the caboose labeled 'Feelings.' In your situation, it is important to keep these things in order - our lives need to be guided by faith, not our feelings.

When you face a crisis, however, this isn't always easy to remember. You're not alone in going to 'feelings first.' It's part of the human experience. It's natural to cry, worry, have sleepless nights, etc., when we're faced with a crisis.

We have these feelings because we're made in God's image. God's heart beats with empathy for our every experience. Throughout the Bible we read of God's joys, His sorrows, His cares for His people, etc. No one (even you!) should feel bad because of their feelings in a time of crisis.

The difficulty arises in entrusting our feelings to our faith: not letting the caboose guide the train, so to speak.

This takes intentional action on our parts. When in crisis, people often turn to God in prayer. However, once the crisis is over, both their prayer and God are forgotten. Remember the story of the ten lepers who came to Jesus? (see Luke 17:11-19). All sought and received healing. But only one returned to thank the Lord for what He did.

It takes intential action to thank the Lord after the crisis for His resolution to the problem. This may be difficult when God's answer to our prayer is not what we ask for. It may even cause a resurgence of feelings of resentment, disappointment, and anger. But faith is 'the evidence of things not seen.' (Heb. 11:1) We may not understand God's answer to prayer, but we are not God. It takes an act of faith to believe that God's will is done when it contradicts our own.

Always remember that in a time of crisis, God is there with you. You can feel free to call me at 2 a.m. if you need to - but remember, that God is not long distance, and He's as close as the beat of your heart. You will find peace in the turmoil of emotions, rest for your mind (if not your body), and gain understanding in the ways God intends to work in your life.

Thanks for writing -

Brian Daniels
The Country Parson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home